Initial Project Description:
A leading cause of delays in life and health insurance policy issue is often due to time lags in receiving the Attending Physician Statement (APS) also known as Third Party Reports and how that impacts the underwriting process.
This problem statement will address APS delays. >> Read More
Problem Statement:Customers are waiting months to receive life and living benefits coverage due to poor data quality, lack of physician motivation and a paper based process culminating in long APS cycle times.
- The Co-operators
- Foresters Financial
- Hannover Re (Ireland) DAC Canadian Life Branch
- IRB Brasil Re
- KPMG (Canada)
Project Highlights and Milestones:
The initial project questions that were given to the team were:
- How can we expedite the Third Party Reports request process?
- How can we provide a risk relevant synopsis of these reports to the underwriter for a faster risk premium classification?
- What should this process look like in today's digital age?
Over the 90 day project period, the project team worked on achieving the above goals focusing on the problem statement. Developed through various stakeholder centric support activities, based on Design Thinking Methodology, the project team leveraged several innovations to evolve the 30+ year APS process in Canada today. To encapsulate these innovations, the team created a new digital platform called "Road Runner" focused on accelerating the APS process.
Today, it can take up to 60 days for the insurance applicant to receive coverage due to several delays outlined below:
To achieve the goals and to address the problem statement, the "Road Runner" Platform includes:
Through the platform solutions, the team was able to achieve the following highlights:
- +$80MM opportunity in the Canadian market alone (NPW, + UW Productivity + Process Cost Savings)
- Industry first APS centric Machine Learning Modelling
- Canadian first underwriter focused medical information API
- New standardized guided digital APS form
- Creation of self funding physician incentive program
- Several onsite studies with medical clinics, insurers, and insurance applicants
To support the creation of the platform, the team iterated and uncovered insights by leveraging:
- Stakeholder feedback channels (face to face, on site observations and remote)
- UX/UI design iterations
- Trend Research and Financial Analysis
FINAL MVP (PROTOTYPE):
The project team developed a high fidelity minimum viable product (prototype) APS process stakeholder platform that is used by medical clinics and underwriters.
Here are a few sample screen shots of "Road Runner" in which the project team members now have the capability to bring this to market together:
(APS Focused Machine Learning Model)