The Cookhouse Lab Drone Insurance project launched on Monday 31 July. The purpose of this four-week project was to identify how to best insure drones, given that there is currently a lack of data which is preventing insurers from being able to launch products tailored to the risk requirements of individual drone users.In Weeks 1 and 2 of the project, the team focussed on developing their user personas for recreational and commercial users. The team investigated ways in which to engage consumers and prosumers, focussing on community participation. Students from the University of Applied Sciences Würzburg-Schweinfurt (Germany) worked along side the team and shared their risk model, enabling the team to identify and develop a prototype for an on-line, on-demand drone insurance solution.
(Photo taken with the drone of our Innovation Chef, Jason Yu)
In Weeks 3 and 4, the team conducted secondary market research to support their recommendations. To assess market appetite for drone insurance, and to assess the willingness of consumers to share their drone data that could enable an on-demand type product, the team also developed a customer survey which was launched in partnership with OmniView Tech. During the final week of the project the team collated their survey results, and completed their Final Presentation and Innovation report.
Accomplishments to Date
- Conducted coffee shop interviews to understand the public perception and knowledge of drones.
- Built personas for target drone users.
- Defined problem statement.
- Established a front-end solution based on the risk model developed by the students from the University of Applied Sciences Würzburg-Schweinfurt.
- Visited Omniview Tech (drone and drone accessories retailer) to gain insights into the drone market.
- Drone flying trip to Scarborough Bluffs with external drone users.
- Developed concept and wireframes for a data based community solution and an on-demand drone insurance product application.
- Surveyed “prosumer” drone group in partnership with OmniView Tech to establish the propensity of drone users to purchase insurance, and to share their data.
- Finalised the Innovation Report and Presentation
- The Cooperators
- Munich Re
- Hybris (SAP)
- University of Applied Sciences Würzburg-Schweinfurt
Want more? Make sure to check out the project Management Report!